You will be expected to steer BURS to newer and greater heights - Mr. Wankie B. Wankie
SPEECH BY MR. WANKIE B. WANKIE
VICE - CHAIRPERSON OF THE BOTSWANA UNIFIED REVENUE SERVICE (BURS)
BOARD OF DIRECTORS AT THE INDUCTION OF NEW MEMBERS
OF THE BURS MAIN BOARD AND BOARD COMMITTEES
PHAKALANE: 17 TH NOVEMBER 2016
Director of Ceremony
Members of the BURS Board and Board Committees
Commissioner General Morris and Members of the BURS Executive Management
Facilitator from SADC - DFRC
Staff of BURS here present
Ladies and Gentlemen,
A very good morning!
- It gives me great pleasure to have the opportunity to speak to you on the occasion of the induction of the BURS Main Board and Board Committee members.
- It is gratifying to note that in spite of the other commitments that these members have, they have found it fit, to dedicate part of their time to serve in the BURS Board. For some of the members, serving in the BURS Board comes as part of their jobs in the Ministries that they serve. These are officials from the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development, the Ministry of Investment Trade and Industry and the Bank of Botswana; who are required to serve in the BURS Board as ex-officio members.
- BURS is one of the biggest Semi-Autonomous organisations in Botswana; and it is established to administer and enforce the revenue laws. The primary mandate of BURS is to mobilise revenue for the development of Botswana.
- You must agree with me that, with the current economic outlook, both locally and internationally, this is not a simple mandate to achieve. A lot of great things are therefore expected from you. As the Board and Board committee members, you will be expected to steer BURS to newer and greater heights; to come up with innovative ideas to increase the tax base and to help come up with strategies to do that in a proficient and cost-efficient manner. To do this, you will have to put in long hours of work; and be prepared to serve at awkward hours.
- The BURS Board is established in terms of the BURS Act. No. 17 of 2004, as the governing